What is devil’s claw ?
The hooks that cover the fruit of Harpagophytum procumbens, the source of devil’s claw, account for the herb’s odd name. The hooks promote the plant’s spread by animals. The drug is extracted from the roots and secondary tubers of H. procumbens, a member of the Pedalia family (Pedaliaceae).
Common doses of devil’s claw
Devil’s claw comes as:
In one study, people received 2,000 milligrams orally daily.
Why people use devil’s claw herb
- Arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Digestive tract Problems
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- Menopause symptoms
- Menstrual pain
- Nicotine poisoning
- Severe stabbing pains
- Skin cancer
- To stimulate the appetite
Side effects of devil’s claw
Call your health care practitioner if you experience unusual symptoms when using devil’s claw.
Combining herbs with certain drugs may alter their action or produce unwanted side effects. Tell your health care practitioner about any prescription or nonprescription drugs you’re taking, especially drugs for irregular heartbeats.
Important points to remember
- Avoid devil’s claw if you have gastric or duodenal ulcers or if you’re breast-feeding.
- Don’t use this herb if you’re pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or plan to become pregnant. Devil’s claw may stimulate uterine contractions and cause miscarriage.
- If you’re using devil’s claw to ease inflammation, keep in mind that you may get better results by taking one of the many prescription or nonprescription drugs with known risks and benefits.
What the research shows
Except for a single study, scientists have no evidence that devil’s claw eases inflammation or has therapeutic value in treating any other disorder. Larger and well-designed clinical studies must be done to evaluate its safety and effectiveness in treating arthritis.
Other names for devil’s claw : –
Other names for devil’s claw include grapple plant and wood spider.
Products containing devil’s claw are sold under such names as Devil’s Claw, Devil’s Claw Capsule, Devil’s Claw Secondary Root, and Devil’s Claw Vegicaps.