What is DHEA ?
DHEA has been touted as an immune booster, an anti-aging miracle drug, and a treatment for many disorders ranging from depression to tumors. DHEA is made from steroid precursors found in the yam. Europe and China produce most of the commercially available DHEA.
Common doses of DHEA
DHEA is available as:
- capsules (5, 25, or 50 milligrams)
- timed-release tablets (15 milligrams)
- cream (4 ounces, combined with other vitamins and herbs).
In most studies, people received a dose of 50 milligrams orally daily.
Why people use DHEA herb
- Atherosclerosis (plaque buildup in the arteries)
- Certain autoimmune disorders
- To prevent osteoporosis
- To slow the effects of aging
Side effects of DHEA
Call your health care practitioner if you experience any of these possible side effects of DHEA:
- excessive body hair growth
- increased aggressiveness
Combining herbs with certain drugs may alter their action or produce unwanted side effects. Tell your health care practitioner about any prescription or nonprescription drugs you’re taking, especially other androgen or estrogen hormones.
Important points to remember
- Don’t use DHEA if you have prostate cancer, benign prostatic hypertrophy, or a breast or uterine tumor. DHEA may promote growth of these tumors.
- Avoid this herb if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you’re over age 40, don’t take DHEA unless you’ve been screened aggressively for hormonally sensitive cancers.
- Report mood or behavior changes to your health care practitioner.
What the research shows
Most claims for DHEA are based on laboratory and nonprimate studies. Although decreasing DHEA levels in humans may indicate aging and degenerative diseases, scientists lack conclusive evidence that DHEA can prevent or treat these diseases. They also know little about the safety of long-term DHEA use. Larger and more comprehensive trials are needed to determine an appropriate role for DHEA in medicine.
Other names for DHEA : –
DHEA is also called dehydroepiandrosterone.
Products containing Dhea are sold under such names as Born Again’s DHEA Eyelift Serum, DHEA Men’s Formula, DHEA with Antioxidants 25 milligrams and DHEA with Bioperine 50 milligrams.