Abnormal development of cells leads to the growth of tumor, when tumor is malignant in nature they are termed as cancer. Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer diagnosed in women today. Around the world breast cancer statistics shows that after lung cancer breast cancer is the second most death-causing factor in people who develops cancer.
The risk factor of developing breast cancer increases with the age, it does not only relate to women, figures show that out of every 100 women there is one male who is diagnosed of breast cancer. Breast cancer does not mean a specific category of disease rather it is the different types of cancer generally found in breast is collectively termed as breast cancer. Though the most common understanding suggests that, abnormal growth of cells in the breast causes breast cancer.
Causes of Breast Cancer
The exact cause of breast cancer is unknown and there are no fixed causes for breast cancer. Myths in identifying the causes of breast cancer are more prevalent than the real cause.
Some of the causes that have been collectively associated with breast cancer are:
- The chances of breast cancer depends on age, as the person gets older the chances of it are more
- Family history of close relative like mother, sister and daughter who has been diagnosed with breast cancer increases the risk factor
- Early start onset of menses and early menopause are also associated with breast cancer
- Exposure to radioactive rays are carcinogenic and increases the chances of breast cancer
- Using hormone replacement therapy might also cause it
- Exposure to harmful chemicals (working in a chemical factory that uses harmful chemicals like Organochlorines)
- Late childbearing