What is nosebleeds?
Nosebleeds are sometimes the aftermath of a blow on the nose in a fistfight between ‘un equals’, or it may be due to other reasons. Everyone experiences a nosebleed from time to time. The cause may be an impact to the nose, but many times the nose bleeds because of nasal congestion due to a nasal allergy, strep throat, a sinus infection, or a cold that irritates and weakens the delicate nasal lining.
Blood vessels that supply the nasal mucosa are very delicate. Blowing one’s nose hard or removing a scab from the nostril can cause a nosebleed. Unprovoked bleeding from the nose may be a sign of undiagnosed hypertension. Sometimes a head injury may show no apparent external symptoms except a nosebleed. Do not treat it at home-rush to the doctor. It may be the first indication of something seriously amiss. Being outdoors during a particularly hot summer day may also cause a nosebleed . Some of the common causes of nosebleeds includes.
- Excessive dieting.
- Nasal tumors.
- Common cold.
- Using cocaine.
- Dry air.
- Excessive blood loss include dizziness.
- Stuffy nose.
- Dry nose.
Natural home remedies for the treatment of nosebleeds
- Make the patient sit down and pinch his or her nose at the junction of the bony and soft parts, just at the edge of the sides of the bony prominence. Plug the bleeding nostril with a cotton wool swab.
- Grind fresh coriander leaves and put one or two drops of its juice into the nostril. This will cause the bleeding to stop.
- Vaseline – gently rub this around just inside the nose with a Q-tip or your finger twice a day.
- Mango flowers are another effective remedy. The juice has an antiseptic action.
When should the doctor be called in the case of nosebleed?
- If the child frequently gets nosebleeds that take more than 15 minutes to stop.
- If the trouble in breathing.
- If the child is bleeding elsewhere, for example from their ears or gums.
Tips on preventing nosebleeds
- Quit smoking.
- Keep children’s fingernails short to discourage nose picking.
- Keep the lining of your nose moist by applying vaseline.