Gonorrhea: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment


What is Gonorrhea ?

Gonorrhea is a venereal disease caused by the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhea. It usually affects the genital area, although the throat or anus (back passage) may also be involved. Gonorrhea affects both men and women and is easily transmitted during vaginal intercourse. It can also be transmitted during anal or oral sex. They can also be passed from a mother to her baby during birth. You cannot catch gonorrhea from a towel, a doorknob, or a toilet seat.

Young men aged 20-24 years and women between the ages of 16 and 19 are most commonly affected.

Gonorrhea Symptoms

Symptoms usually appear 2 to 7 days after a person has been exposed to gonorrhea. Approximately half the women and a third of the men do not show any symptoms.

In men the common symptoms of gonorrhea are :-

  • Painful urination.
  • Yellowish -white discharge may ooze out of the urethra (at the tip of the penis).
  • Frequent urination.
  • Pain during sexual intercourse

In women the common symptoms of gonorrhea are :-

  • Consisting of painful urination
  • An increasing amount of discharge from the vagina.
  • Vaginal bleeding between menstrual periods.
  • Pain during sexual intercourse.

Gonorrhea Causes

Gonorrhea is caused by the Neisseria gonorrhea bacteria. Gonorrhea is caused by the Neisseria gonorrhea bacteria. Some of the common causes includes :-

  • Men have a 20% chance of getting the infection by having sexual relations with a woman infected with gonorrhea.
  • An infected mother may transmit gonorrhea to her newborn during vaginal childbirth.


Treatment for Gonorrhea

Gonorrhea is treated with antibiotics. Some strains of gonorrhea are now resistant to penicillin and some other antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin or ofloxacin. It’s better to prevent gonorrhea than to treat it. The best way to prevent gonorrhea infection is to always use condoms when having sex.

If you think you may have been infected with gonorrhea or if you have had a partner who may have gonorrhea, you need to see your doctor or gynecologist.

Useful References

Leave a Reply