Actinic Keratosis is a sort of skin disorder which occurs in the portion of skin which is exposed to the sun. It is called AK for short. As it occurs due to the direct exposure of the skin to the sun that is why it is also known as solar Keratosis, sun spots or the precancerous spots. This kind of bad skin condition is identified by the rough skin patches. The shape and size of these patches is regular and they also have well defined borders. Their diameter may vary from two millimeter to sc millimeter. These patches are of red color usually and they also consist of white scales on their top. The person may start screaming in pain any rough cloth or finger gets rubbed against the spots.
Actinic Keratosis generally occurs on the face, scalp, scalp, on the back side of neck, upper portion of chest, back sides of the hands and sometimes on forearms also. It has been observed that mostly fair complexion people, who work in fields or spend lot of time in working outside and expose their skin directly to the sun, are on the greater verge of developing skin disorders like Actinic Keratosis.
The color of the patches or scraps because of Actinic Keratosis may start varying after some time. Their color may turn from light to dark after few weeks then it may turn out to be pink, red, and tan or may attain the same color of the skin. The crust of the patches caused by Actinic Keratosis is very rough and dry which can be identified just by a simple touch rather than watching it. Number of times the people who are affected by such skin disorder experience the itchy and burning sensation at the spot, when he or she exposes his or her affected parts to the sun.
Effects or Consequences of Actinic Keratosis
These patches are miraculous they disappear on their own when you stop exposing your affected skin directly to the sun. But being miraculous they may appear again after sometime or whenever skin is again exposed to the sun for long duration.
Actinic Keratosis is really very dangerous to the health and the mental well being of the human being. This kind of skin disorder may develop into skin cancer after some time. The time is not definite in severe cases it turns to be cancerous within few months and in few cases it may take years or may turn out to be cancerous for whole life. These patches are basically precancerous or one can consider them as warning signs of the fatal disease called cancer. However, there are number of cases in which these patches do not turn into skin cancer. But it happens with those who take special care of them and opt for the better cures right fro the day one. So be careful about your skin conditions and remain in touch with the doctor.
Treatment for Actinic keratosis
- For individuals with fair complexion, should minimize their sun exposure.
- Generously apply a broad spectrum sun blocker (one that covers against both UVA and UVB rays) that has a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 15 or more, daily. Remember to reapply after perspiring and after being submerged in water.
- Shave Removal utilizes a scalpel to shave the keratosis and obtain a specimen for testing. The base of the lesion is destroyed, and the bleeding is stopped by cauterization.
- The body needs to absorb vitamin D, however do this by simply following a healthy diet that includes vitamin supplements and avoid gaining the vital vitamin directly from the sun.
- Chemical Peel method is used for peel off the top layer of the skin. Jessners solution and/or trichloroacetic acid are used for the chemical peeling. Any soreness occurred clears off after few days. New skin generally covers the lesion within a week.