What is hiccups?
A hiccup is a sharp sound which due to sudden contraction of the diaphragm, followed simultaneously by a span/closure of the vocal chords. This is not a disorder to worry about, but can be very uncomfortable and tiresome while it lasts. Usually it is self limiting. Hiccups are also called hiccoughs (hih-coffs).
What are the causes of hiccups?
Hiccups are caused by an irritated nerve (the phrenic nerve) in the diaphragm. Some things that irritate the phrenic nerve which can cause the Hiccups. Here some factors which responsible for the causes of Hiccups.
- If you eating too much or too fast, you can swallow air along with your food and end up with a case of the hiccups.
- Drinking fluids with bubbles like soda pop can sometimes cause hiccups.
- Drinking alcohol and emotional excitement or stress can also cause hiccups.
- Sudden change in stomach temperature, such as drinking a hot beverage and then a cold beverage.
What are the signs and symptoms of hiccups?
You may hear a sharp, quick sound coming from your mouth. This sound is made when the hiccup spasm closes the muscles in the back of the throat as you breathe out.
Home Remedies to get rid of Hiccups
- Take a teaspoon each of ginger juice, honey, lime juice and a pinch of pepper. Mix them together and lick a tiny bit from a spoon, off and on. This will helps to cure hiccups.
- For some eating a spoonful of peanut butter stops hiccups immediately. It can work for children also.
- Hold your breath as long as possible, and let it go out. The lungs expand and push down on the diaphragm, stopping hiccups immediately.
- Slowly suck on a wedge of fresh lime.
- Sip warm water slowly.This helps to get rid of hiccups.
- Take a deep breath and hold it as long as you can. Repeat several times.
- Nibble fresh radish leaves – it stops hiccups. This helps to get rid of hiccups.
- Swallow dry bread, peanut butter, or similarly sticky substance.
- For recurring hiccups, suck small pieces of fresh ginger.
- Enage yourself in talking with somebody and do not care about hiccups. The hiccups will stop in five minutes.
- Take a large mouthful of water with out swallowing, plug both ears, and slowly begin to swallow the water. Unplug your ears and you’re hiccup free!