Some women may naturally have a heavier flow during the menstrual period than others. However, if you have excessive bleeding, which is a change from your normal cyclic routine, and the flow contains large clots, it is advisable to consult a gynaecologist. There could be an underlying problem of hormonal imbalance, polyps, fibroids, or even cancer.
The symptoms of menorrhagia include :-
- Menstrual flow that soaks through one or more sanitary pads or tampons every hour for several consecutive hours.
- The need to use double sanitary protection to control your menstrual flow.
- Tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath (symptoms of anemia).
- The need to change sanitary protection during the night.
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- Menstrual period that lasts longer than seven days.
- Menstrual flow that includes large blood clots.
- Heavy menstrual flow that interferes with your regular lifestyle.
- Constant pain in the lower abdomen during menstrual period.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Uterine fibroids.
- Pregnancy complications.
Home Remedies for The Menorrhagia Treatment
1. Coriander-seed Decoction
Boil a teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water till it is reduced to half. Add sugar to taste and have twice or thrice a day while it is still warm.
2. Banana Flower
Eat banana-flower curry every day, or have it as a dry vegetable with yoghurt. Banana flower has a progestron-like substance, so it helps regularise the flow during the periods.
Grind fresh bael leaves. A teaspoonful of this paste with warm water, had once a day, is efficacious.
Soak 2-3 almonds in water overnight. Next morning, remove the skins and grind the almonds to a paste with 2-3 small bael leaves. Add a little honey and have daily. (The bael-Ieaf juice should be about a teaspoonful). Follow this with a cup of warm milk.
5. Indian Gooseberry
Have a teaspoon of Indian gooseberry juice with sugar on an empty stomach every morning. Follow it up with a glass of warm water.
6. Mimosa Pudica
Mimosa pudica grows wild throughout India . It is a thorny shrub which spreads on the ground, has small pink flowers, and its leaves close when touched. Two tablespoonful of the fresh juice of the leaves, taken with honey thrice a day for 3-4 days will stop the bleeding.
7. Asparagus Tubers
Take a tablespoonful of the crushed tuber juice with sugar thrice a day for 3-4 days.