A number of women complain of nausea, and some of vomiting early in the morning during the first few weeks of pregnancy. Morning sickness, which can actually occur at any time of the day, can really dampen your excitement about being pregnant. Morning sickness is extremely common. It occurs in about half of all pregnant women. Morning Sickness usually begins during the first month of pregnancy.
Causes and Symptoms of Morning Sickness
These symptoms usually start after the third week of the missed periods. They generally subside at 6-8 weeks, but may last for three months. Anything more than this is not normal and needs medical attention. The nausea and vomiting is a result of bio-chemical changes taking place in the body, plus the fact that certain pregnancy-related hormones are high. Morning Sickness may be caused by either hormonal changes or lower blood sugar during early pregnancy. Symptoms of morning sickness can include:
- Loss of appetite.
- Psychological effects, such as depression and anxiety.
Home Remedies For Treatment of Morning Sickness
- Eating a dry toast or a cream cracker biscuit in the morning with your cup of tea will soothe the biochemical upset.This helps to relief in morning sickness.
- Mix honey with some powdered green cardamom seeds. lick it once in a while.
- Avoid spicy and fried food – both eating and smelling it can increase your nausea.
- Cold food may have less nausea inducing smells associated with them.
- Roasted gram, eaten just one at a time, slowly, allays the urge to vomit.
- Fresh orange juice with honey, orange rind herbal tea with honey, and fresh ginger and lime tea soothe nausea.
- Get enough sleep at night.
- Take naps during the day (but not right after eating). Tiredness plays a big part in morning sickness.
- Eat smaller, lighter meals. Foods which have ginger, pepper, chilies, cinnamon and onion stimulate the appetite. Chew lime peel pickles, tamarind or raw mango.
- Powder 2-3 cloves, add to a glass of hot water and simmer for 15-20 minutes. let the mixture cool, and sip the solution off and on.This helps to relief in morning sickness.
Contact your doctor if
- Morning sickness does not improve.
- You are vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds.
- You lose more than 2 pounds.
- There is prolonged, severe vomiting.