What is Canker Sores ?
Canker Sores (aphthae, or aphthous ulcers) are ulcers that form on the mucous membranes of the mouth or genitals. Aphthous ulcers are single or multiple ulcers of the inside of the mouth that tend to recur. The most common type of an aphthous ulcer is recurrent minor aphthous ulcer (recurrent aphthous stomatitis).
Causes, incidence, and risk factors Canker Sores
The exact cause of cause of recurrent aphthous ulceration is unclear. However, there may be many causes for this problem.
- Aphthous ulcers are sometimes caused by iron deficiency.
- Emotional stress and lack of sleep.
- Certain foods including chocolate.
- Aphthous ulcers may also be caused by a Vitamin-B deficiency.
- The detergents found in many types of toothpaste can cause aphthous ulcers in some individuals.
- Genetics: There may be a genetic predisposition to aphthous ulceration; about 40% of people with recurrent aphthous ulcers have a family history of oral ulceration.
What are the signs and symptoms of Canker Sores?
Canker Sores usually begin as a burning or tingling sensation. A red spot or bump usually forms, which develops into an open ulcer. The ulcers are usually small, less than 1 centimeter in diameter, but larger ulcers are possible.
- ulcers in the mouth, usually inside the lips, on the cheeks, or on the tongue.
- lesions usually heal in 7 to 14 days.
- ulcers that are covered with a yellow layer and have a red base.
Natural home remedies for Canker Sores
- Toothpastes and mouthwashes that do not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Some people find that swishing a teaspoonful of Milk of Magnesia and Benadryl Allergy liquid (diphenhydramine) mixed 50:50 over their aphthous ulcers (and then spitting this mixture out) four to six times a day helps to minimize the pain they cause.
- Avoid contact with individuals that have active lesions.
- Improve diet or take dietary supplements of vitamins or minerals that you may be lacking in.
- Eating yogurt (lactobacillus acidophilus cultures) daily may get relief to some people.
- Red raspberry tea contains valuable flavonoids and is very helpful. Helps to get rid of canker sores.
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
- Rockrose, also known as sun rose, used as a mouthwash, both heals and get rid the pain of canker sores.