Alternative names : Blemishes and spots
What are freckles?
Unevenly distributed melanin (pigmentation) occurs due to exposure to the sun. Some people have small pigmented spots on the face, which occur naturally, and are not caused by infection. Freckles are usually tan or light brown, flat, and very small (smaller than the head of a pin). Sometimes they overlap and run together, so they may look larger. Some people’s freckles fade away almost completely in the winter, just to return in the summer. Other people’s freckle are permanent, don’t change much with or without the sun, and can be seen year-round.
Freckles are caused by a natural disposition to an excess deposition of triggered on scattered areas, often triggered by exposure to sunlight. Some people get these in their growing years, but women often get them in their forties, that is, the pre menopausal years. These have no relation to actual menopause, but since they seem to appear in the fourth decade or later, they may have something to do with aging. These pigmented spots are called freckles. Blemishes are another kind of skin discoloration which are caused by exposure to cold winds. Circumscribed blemishes on the face are called spots.
Some are the common symptoms of freckles includes:
- The skin might become scaly or crusty.
- Spots on skin which are brown in color.
- Redness and swelling may develops on skin.
Home Remedies For Freckles
Make the following combinations for face packs, which can be applied on the face and washed off when dry.
- For normal skin, soak a tablespoonful of lentils for a few hours. Drain off the water and grind them to a coarse paste. Add a few drops of fresh lime juice to the paste.
- To a tablespoonful of honey, add a few drops of fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- Dry orange peels, powder and store them. To use, add rose water to make a paste. Helps remove dry skin scales and cleanses the skin.
- Wet a jambul seed in water and rub it in a circular motion on a smooth, washed stone. Collect this watery residue-filled liquid and apply it on individual blemishes, spots, pimples, etc. Let it dry. Wash it off with water. Do this for a few days.
- For a dry skin, apply a paste made of a tablespoonful of dry pumpkin seeds and a little olive oil
- Take a few mint leaves and grind them to a paste. Add to this one mashed banana and blend in a blender. Apply this paste all over the face be careful to avoid the eyes. Regular use will get rid of freckle and remove blemishes too.
- An expensive face pack for dry, aging skin is to soak 4-5 almonds overnight. Skin and grind them and make a paste with a little milk.
- For oily skin, soak a tablespoonful of lentils overnight. Drain off the water. Grind it to a paste with little yogurt or milk. Keep the paste on till it dries. Wash it off with warm water.
- Make a paste of gram flour, yogurt and a pinch of turmeric. If the skin is dry, replace the yogurt with fresh cream.
- Use fresh buttermilk as a face pack, followed by a warm water rinse. It reduces the oiliness of skin predisposed to pimples and acne.