We have been told that adding wheat germ to our diet will have health benefits, but not everyone is sure as to why wheat germ is healthy for you.
What is Wheat Germ?
Wheat germ is one of the three parts that make up a wheat kernel. The reason that they tell you that whole wheat flour and eating the whole grain is better for you is because each of the parts that makesup a wheat kernel has a different nutritional property that is beneficial to the human body. Whole wheat products contain the entire kernel and therefore they contain all of the nutrients.
A wheat kernel is divided into:
- Bran: this is the outside covering of the kernel and it is where all of the fiber is
- Endosperm: this is what the developing plant would eat and is where the starch of the wheat kernel is
- The germ: this is the part of the wheat kernel that would become a plant and this is where the fat of the kernel is. The germ is also the most nutrient rich part of the kernel
What Nutritional Value Does a Wheat Germ Have?
Some of the many nutrients and vitamins that can be found in a wheat kernel are:
- Protein is almost thirty percent of the makeup of the wheat germ. That is actually more protein than can be found in the majority of meats. Protein helps cells to grow and repair.
- Vitamin E helps you to have healthy skin and a healthy reproduction system. Wheat germ contains high levels of this antioxidant rich vitamin.
- Thiamine is very important in regulating our metabolism and helping us have a healthy nervous system. It also helps people to have skin free of blemishes.
- Magnesium works to help humans have healthy hearts and circulatory systems. Together with calcium it helps to keep bones strong.
- Vitamin B5 is very important if you want to speed up your metabolism and to clear cholesterol out of your system. This vitamin helps you to burn off those calories and to have the energy to do everything you want to do.
- Fiber is important to keep the body cleaned out and to help prevent cancers and many other diseases. Fiber also makes you feel full so that you do not overeat so it helps you to not gain weight.
How to Add Wheat Germ to Your Diet
Now instead of asking why is wheat germ healthy you are asking how can I add this to my diet? It is very easy to add wheat germ to breads and baked goods because it has a pleasantly sweet taste. You can even sprinkle the wheat germ on the top of your cereals in the morning.
There are supplements and tablets for those of you that wish to not eat the germ but the supplements and the pills do not have the same benefits of high fiber that the powdered wheat germ has.
You should store this in a cool dry place in an air tight container.