Home :: Abilify
Abilify Medication - Online Uses And Sides Effects of Abilify Tablet
Generic Name of Abilify :: Aripiprazole (ah rih PIP rah zole)
Brand Name :: Abilify
What is Abilify and for what Abilify is used ?
Abilify is an anti-psychotic drug for treating psychoses. Like other anti-psychotic drugs, the mechanism of action of aripiprazole is unknown. Moreover, like other anti-psychotics, it blocks several receptors on the nerves of the brain for several neurotransmitters (chemicals that nerves use to communicate with each other). It is thought that its beneficial effect is due to its effects on dopamine and serotonin receptors.
Abilify medicine contains the active ingredient aripiprazole, which is a type of medicine known as an atypical antipsychotic. Abilify is used in the treatment of schizophrenia, the crippling psychological disorder that causes its victims to lose touch with reality, often triggering hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized thought. The drug is thought to work by modifying sensitivity to two of the brain's chief chemical messengers, serotonin and dopamine.
How to Take Abilify
- Take Abilify exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
- Abilify usually is taken once a day. The usual starting dose is 10 or 15 mg once daily.
- The dose may be increased over time to achieve the desired effect.
- Abilify can be taken with or without food.
- It is important to take Abilify regularly to get the most benefit.
What are the Side Effects of Abilify Medication
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with Abilify medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using Abilify medicine will experience that or any side effect.
Warnings and precautions before taking Abilify Medication
- Abilify medication tends to make some people sleepy, you should be cautious about operating hazardous machinery such as cars until you are certain the drug will not impair your ability.
- If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using Abilify medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately
- Do not suddenly stop taking Abilify. You must gradually reduce the dose or you may get a dangerous increase in blood pressure. Ask your prescriber or health care professional for advice.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Abilify. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking Abilify.
- Abilify medication has triggered seizures in a very small number of patients, and can also interfere with the swallowing mechanism. The risk of either problem is greater among older adults. If you've ever had a seizure, be sure to tell the doctor. Abilify should be used with caution.
- Abilify medication can cause an abrupt drop in blood pressure when they stand up, leading to light-headedness or even fainting. Use Abilify with caution if you have any kind of heart or circulatory problem, take blood pressure medication, or tend to become dehydrated.
- There is no information regarding the use of Abilify medicine in children and adolescents under the age of 18.
- Avoid becoming overheated while taking Abilify tablet. Abilify may affect body temperature regulation. Use caution in hot weather and during exercise. Drink plenty of fluids.
What drugs may interact with Abilify Tablet
The doctor will need to reduce the dosage of Abilify when you take the following additional drugs:
- Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Paroxetine (Paxil)
- Quinidine (Quinidex)
- Sedating antihistamines, eg chlorpheniramin
- HIV protease inhibitors, eg ritonavir.
What to do if you take Overdose of Abilify ?
If you take overdose of Abilify medication the seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
Symptoms of Abilify tablet overdose may include:
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Abilify ?
If you miss a dose of Abilify medication , take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
How to Store Abilify Tablet:
- Keep Abilify medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
- Store at room temperature.
- Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
back to drugs section