Home :: Anafranil
Generic name: Clomipramine hydrochloride
Uses of Anafranil
Anafranil, (clomipramine hydrochloride capsules, USP), is an antiobsessional drug that belongs to the class (dibenzazepine) of pharmacologic agents known as tricyclic antidepressants. Anafranil is available as capsules of 25, 50, and 75 mg for oral administration. Anafranil, a chemical cousin of tricyclic antidepressant medications such as Tofranil and Elavil, is used to treat people who suffer from obsessions and compulsions.
How to Take Anafranil:
Take Anafranil with meals, at first, to avoid stomach upset. After your regular dosage has been established, you can take 1 dose at bedtime to avoid sleepiness during the day. Always take it exactly as prescribed.
Side Effects of Anafranil:
The most commonly observed adverse events associated with the use of Anafranil and not seen at an equivalent incidence among placebo-treated patients were gastrointestinal complaints, including
- Abdominal pain
- dry mouth, constipation,
- nausea, dyspepsia, and anorexia;
- nervous system complaints, including somnolence, tremor, dizziness.
- genitourinary complaints, including changed libido, ejaculatory failure, impotence, and micturition disorder;
- sore throat
Warnings and precautions for Anafranil:
- If you have a tumor of the adrenal gland, Anafranil medication could cause your blood pressure to rise suddenly and dangerously.
- Anafranil may cause your skin to become more sensitive to sunlight. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Anafranil is contraindicated in patients with glaucoma, as the condition may be aggravated due to the atropine-like effects of the drug.
- Anafranil should not be given in conjunction with or within 14 days of treatment with a MAO inhibitor.
- When it is time to stop taking Anafranil, do not stop abruptly. Your doctor will have you taper off gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, fever, general feeling of illness, headache, high fever, irritability or worsening emotional or mental problems, nausea, sleep problems, vomiting.
How to Store Anafranil:
Keep Anafranil medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
back to drugs section